Wound Care

What types of wounds are commonly treated by podiatrists?

Podiatrists frequently treat foot and lower extremity wounds, including diabetic ulcers, pressure ulcers, cuts, puncture wounds, surgical incisions, and wounds related to poor circulation or peripheral arterial disease.

Wound care is particularly important for those with diabetes. It’s possible that what appears to be a small wound could turn into more severe foot complications down the road if left untreated. It’s common for those with diabetes to experience neuropathy. Neuropathy is a type of nerve damage that affects the body and can cause you to lose feeling in the feet. If you’re no longer experiencing feeling in your feet and a wound develops, it’s very possible it may go unnoticed if you don’t check your feet daily.

What are signs of infection in foot wounds?

  • Redness and warmth around the wound
  • Swelling or increased pain
  • Pus or unpleasant odor
  • Fever or chills
  • Red streaks extending from the wound

Wound Care FAQ

Consult a podiatrist if the wound is deep, does not stop bleeding, shows signs of infection, does not heal within a few days, or if you have an underlying condition like diabetes that affects wound healing.

Podiatrists may offer advanced wound care treatments, including debridement (removal of dead tissue), applying specialized dressings or topical medications, prescribing antibiotics, and using technologies like negative pressure wound therapy or skin grafts for more complex wounds.

Individuals with diabetes are at higher risk for slow-healing wounds due to poor circulation and reduced sensation, increasing the risk of infection and ulcers. Proper care is essential to prevent complications, including the risk of amputation.

Yes, specialized podiatric wound care can significantly reduce the risk of infections, promote faster healing, and prevent complications like chronic wounds or the need for amputation, especially in high-risk individuals.

For a proper diagnosis and recommended treatment plan, we suggest you consult with a podiatrist for professional help and care.